A bit about me…


I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am double-majoring in secondary education and social sciences, as well as minoring in psychology. I have a passion for helping people and from a very young age have known that I wanted to become a teacher. I graduated within the top four percent of my class at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, VA. I currently hold a 4.0 GPA at South and have made the president’s list each semester I have been enrolled. I also work extensively to fully pay my tuition and living expenses. I am highly motivated and believe I am a unique applicant for any teaching position.



Sunday, March 29, 2009

Encouraging creativity

Creativity is a skill that we often lose later in life as it takes a back seat to memorization and efficiency. I believe, however, that it is one of the most important personality traits and should be encouraged and nourished. I want to challenge my students to think outside the box and generate unique ideas. I want to assign projects that reinforce classroom concepts while also requiring them to create something original. But most of all, I want my students to value their own creative side as a tool they can use in life.

I am a huge proponent of active learning. I believe that children should be taking a dynamic role in their learning rather than just listening and watching. Knowledge of the material is strengthened when a student approaches it hands-on.

Besides, why should art teachers have all the fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment