A bit about me…


I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am double-majoring in secondary education and social sciences, as well as minoring in psychology. I have a passion for helping people and from a very young age have known that I wanted to become a teacher. I graduated within the top four percent of my class at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, VA. I currently hold a 4.0 GPA at South and have made the president’s list each semester I have been enrolled. I also work extensively to fully pay my tuition and living expenses. I am highly motivated and believe I am a unique applicant for any teaching position.



Sunday, March 29, 2009

Creating a memorable educational experience

I am 27 years old and I have been a student for 15+ of those and counting. I have had more teachers in my lifetime than I can remember. However, they all fall into 2 categories. There are the teachers who I would not recognize if I passed them on the street. Then, there are the teachers whose classes have had a lasting effect on me and I remember vividly. For my students, I will strive to be a part of the second category.

My favorite teacher in high school was Ms. Fahrion, despite the fact that she taught my least favorite subject, English. She was highly creative and tried to make her classroom fun as well as informative. She also took an interest in her students outside of the classroom and helped me deal with many personal issues that I had. She encouraged me to sign up for her creative writing class, which gave me an outlet to express myself. Even now, 9 years later, I remember her class as having a positive effect on my life.

I believe the best complement you can receive as a teacher is for a former student to approach you and tell you that you really had a hand in shaping their future. I am entering the teaching field because I truly want to help people and have a profound effect on others. I believe to become a memorable teacher, not only do you need to stand apart, but also put forth the effort necessary to really help the students that need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment