A bit about me…


I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am double-majoring in secondary education and social sciences, as well as minoring in psychology. I have a passion for helping people and from a very young age have known that I wanted to become a teacher. I graduated within the top four percent of my class at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, VA. I currently hold a 4.0 GPA at South and have made the president’s list each semester I have been enrolled. I also work extensively to fully pay my tuition and living expenses. I am highly motivated and believe I am a unique applicant for any teaching position.



Sunday, March 29, 2009

Designing a relevant curriculum

One of the main questions I have often asked as a student is "How does the information I am learning apply to my life?" Many things we are required to take in school seem superfluous and often unnecessary. I believe that a student's motivation suffers when he sees no practical application for what he is being taught.

As a teacher, I plan to highlight the useful qualities of the subject I am teaching. For a history class, it may involve discussing the consequences and perspectives that certain events have caused. How have these events affected the modern world and what have they taught us? Rather than simply memorizing facts, a student needs to understand WHY they need to learn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment